Make a delicious grain bowl at home with Afia Falafel and Freekeh.
2 cups basmati rice, rinsed & drained
2 TBS olive oil
½ large onion, sliced thin
1 heaping cup of chopped carrot
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
1 heaping tsp cumin
1 heaping tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp black pepper
Dash of ground cloves
1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained
26 ounces (3 1/4 cups) of vegetable broth
sea salt (to taste, depends on how salty your vegetable broth is - suggested 1 teaspoon)
Afia Three Cheese Falafel, prepared according to package directions
Toasted sliced almonds, sesame seeds and/or pine nuts
1. In a large pot (that has a lid) over heat olive oil and sauté onions until the edges are browned.
2. Add in the carrots and sauté for another minute or two.
3. Add the the cinnamon stick, bay leaves & spices cumin, cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg, and clove and sauté until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
4. Add the drained rice and chickpeas and stir until all the spices are incorporated.
5. Pour in the vegetable broth and mix together. Let the the mixture come to a boil.
6. Reduce to a low simmer & cover with the lid. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
7. Remove from heat and let sit covered for at least 20 minutes.
8. When ready to serve, fluff the rice and transfer to a platter.
9. Add Afia Falafel and garnish.