Whether inspired to celebrate Mardi Gras or looking for a warm, flavorful cajun inspired meal, check out this recipe for Cajun Black Bean Rice + Afia Kibbeh.
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp creole seasoning
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 cups long grain white rice
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups chicken broth
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Sea salt & pepper, to taste
Fresh thyme & lime wedges for garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions & garlic. Sauté until fragrant. Add seasonings, except the thyme & bay leaves.
- Add the rinsed rice to onion & spices. Sauté until lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken broth, thyme & bay leaves. Season with sea salt pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer & cover. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender & liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat & let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- While rice is resting, prepare your Beef Kibbeh according to package directions.
- Fluff rice with a spoon or fork. Serve rice in a bowl with Afia Kibbeh on top. Garnish with additional fresh thyme & lime wedges.